Mark (poisonkitty) wrote,
Mark
poisonkitty

Our 64 Impala

Saturday, I did a compression test on the '64 Impala. It faired quite well, with the cylinder pressure ranging from 166psi - 176psi. This is well within standard specs for this 327 V8 (specs are min: 160psi, max variance: 20psi), so I'm pretty happy about that. That tells me that it won't have to have any serious rebuilding any time soon. However, the spark plugs were a little fouled with oil, indicating that the valves are most likely having problems. I'm going to try to fix this with some oil additive (I was recommended CD-2) to help with that until I can get the heads torn off and machined properly. I'm sure some of the spark plug blackness was from running too rich of a fuel mixture - I suck at tuning a carburetor.

While I was under the car, I noticed an unnerving amount of rust. The entire undercarriage was completely covered with it. In fact, it was so bad, that I purchased a six-pack of POR - "Paint Over Rust" to keep it under control. I'm guessing that most of it is surface rust, so applying a chemical bonding agent to it will suffice (in lieu of cutting the pieces out and fabricating new she metal for it). I'm guessing that I will find spots that will need to be patched, but I won't be getting around to that any time soon. I've started a "to buy, to do" list and it's not as long as I thought it would be. Assuming I can continue to dedicate a few hours a week to it (and a few $$ a week as well), I don't see why this car can't be driven on a regular basis by Fall.

The truck is still exactly where we parked it last week. I'll probably get some motivation to work on it once I get these air tools and a stockpile of POR.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 2 comments