Mark (poisonkitty) wrote,
Mark
poisonkitty

More exhausting work today (get it?...exhaust-ing?..haha) out in the man hole. I was so happy that yesterday's tasks went so smoothly, but I knew it couldn't last. Today, I decided to remove the exhaust manifolds in order to clean up/inspect the entire exhaust system - engine to tail pipe. As it turns out, I had to remove most of the engine components to get this stuff out. This was mostly easy except for two large rusty bolts that were in very awkward locations. I spent about 1/4 of my work day just attempting to remove these two bolts. My lovely power tools couldn't access the cramped location, so I ended up doing things the hard way by trying every possible tool to get it done in progressively more work-intensive steps. Impact wrench - won't fit. Air wratchet - won't fit. Deep socket - won't fit. Short socket - fits but needs to be deeper. Medium socket - too long. After I had tried everything but squeezing a small hand wrench up there, it only took about 20 mins of pain to get if off. "Liquid Wrench" is a lie. I lost a chunk of flesh from my finger in the process of getting this stuff out.

Exhaust manifolds:


Crossover pipe:


Stuff being worked on:


I used a wire brush and surface prep pad to get the metal clean, but parts of it had grease on it, so I ended up washing the parts in a bucket of Pine-Sol and soaking myself while rinsing it off. After I got everything cleaned, I sprayed a coat of silver paint on it. I guess I'll get it all back together soon. Next weekend, I hope to finish the POR-15 treatment for the underside of the car. It'll be much easier without the exhaust in the way.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 5 comments