Mark (poisonkitty) wrote,

SF trip last weekend

We went to San Francisco last week for a few days. Here's the brief overview:

Went there on a morning flight Thursday the 13th. We dumped our luggage off at the MonteCristo B and B to go eat at a late lunch / early dinner at Cafe Gratitude. From there, we went to Lush to load up on bath bombs. Walked around Cow Hollow (babies and doggies area) for a while mostly window shopping. Hills. Steep ones. Returned to Monte Cristo and Brindle took a bath.

Friday: We ate breakfast, then the rode bus standing (it was packed) and train out to Oakland to visit our friend Elsie. At some point, I sneezed or coughed and re-injured a recent rib injury, so certain movements or positions hurt like hell as well as taking a normal deep breath. Ate lunch at Golden Lotus downtown. Hung out with Elsie and had tea with her back at her place. We acquired a persimmon from the tree right outside her door. After getting back, we ordered take out from Khoon Chang's Thai. We went to the Legendary Pink Dots show at Cafe Du Nord. We went back to the B+B after the show.

Saturday: Slept like hell with seriously painful rib. Every sneeze cripples me with pain and my allergies were going and it hurt to breathe. We ate breakfast (including the yummy persimmon), rode the bus West to eat lunch at Patpong Thai on Clement near 24th. We walked about 8 blocks down to China Beach and had a very relaxing time playing in the cold surf. We ate dinner at Herbivore on Divisadero at Fell. Bath may have followed.

Sunday: Slept like hell again moreso than before. I got up at 6am in pain and couldn't sleep. I waited in bed trying to sleep a while, but eventually walked up to the store at 8:30 sneezing, coughing and hurting looking for the good drugs. I found some Tylenol and that magically fixed everything. No more pain problems. I ate breakfast and was later joined by Brindle, then rode a bus to Chinatown. We at at Lucky Creation vegetarian restaurant. We ate WAY too much food. Afterwards, shopped and bought various kitsch. We stopped before the heavy bellies started cramping too badly. We had dinner reservations at Millennium for their aphrodesiac dinner. By the end of that meal, we were both about to pop. Srsly. I sat in a chair holding my painfully full belly not wanting to enter a cab until I had to. We finally made back to the B+B and I crashed hard.

Monday, breakfast, then rented a car from City Rent A Car to drive down the coast line to Santa Cruz to visit friends. We ate near the campus there at Saturn Cafe. Burgers sucked but the sweet potato fries were good. We spent the afternoon hanging out with friends on the beach there. I rode a skateboard with sandals on and realized that skateboards are not the same as they used to be, nor am I. The ride back was after dark along the coast line (highway 1). We stopped off on the way back to walk on the beach at Half Moon Bay in the pitch blackness. My 120 lumen flashlight came in handy. After dropping off the rental car, we took a cab back to Lucky Creation in Chinatown for dinner. We ate much more conservatively that time. Later, while Brindle took a bath, I went on a walk around town. I like to walk around the city at night. It's cool to see what's still up and moving around midnight on a Monday night. Surprisingly, SF is quite active at that time.

Tuesday, breakfast, then we packed up to check out. After breakfast, my stomach didn't feel right. I thought it was something I ate or drank and didn't think much of it. It persisted, so I walked to a drug store a few blocks away for some pepto stuff. After chewing on a few pink pills, I got even more sick. I managed to pack stuff up and found myself too ill to go get lunch. While Brindle went to Herbivore for take out, I went back up to the room and managed to puke. That made me feel 100% better by the time she returned with food. I ate said food and felt fine for about 10 minutes. Our ride to the air port arrived and I wasn't doing so well. The ride to the airport sucked and I just about hurled in the car. As soon as we got there, I found a bathroom and tried but failed to hurl. After checking luggage but before making it through security, I succeeded in hurling again. This made me feel a little better, but left us with no time to spare making it onto the plane. We were the last people on. The flight back sucked with much heaving mid air. Thankfully, I slept through most of it. The loudest chatty cunts were in the seat behind us chatting it up at full volume the entire trip. I slept very fitfully in between bathroom sessions. I eventually just laid down across multiple seats with my head in Brindle's lap. Brindle's stomach started to hurt while on the plane. I had the spins the whole way home but at that point was done puking. Not so for Brindle.

We slept all day Wednesday, eating pretty much no food. I did light unpacking yesterday (Thursday) and laundry while Brindle continued to be sick. I had planned to work Thursday then go camping/biking today and tomorrow with my friend Chris at Tyler State Park. That wasn't about to happen with me doing anything active, so we cancelled and I just went to work today. I still don't have much of an appetite. At this point, I'm going to use my juicer and protein shakes to get enough nutrients to recover properly without completely nauseating me.

Doing a quick scan of this summary, I seem to focus on the pain and gloss over the fun parts. I will return to this post with more details about the fun parts. I think the best day was the trip to China beach. The simple joy of having feet in the sand with the ocean right there is much harder to put into words than puking and aching is. I'll tell more later.
Tags: beach, half moon bay., puking, san francisco, santa cruz, sf, sick, stuff and things, vegan
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.